On April 22 and 23, Chatham Baroque will carry out in The Pleasure of Bach, a live performance honoring the late Bach scholar Don O. Franklin, whose contributions to Bach efficiency and scholarship left an indelible mark on Pittsburgh and the early music group at giant. Chatham Baroque is joined by a few of Franklin’s favourite collaborators for this musical tribute.
A pillar of the College of Pittsburgh’s Division of Music, Franklin additionally served as president of the American Bach Society for 4 years and was a founding editor of Bach Views. He was beloved by his undergraduate and graduate college students, who in 2018 collaborated with Bach students from throughout the nation to publish Compositional Decisions and That means within the Vocal Music of JS Bach, a quantity of essays collected as a tribute to Franklin’s half-century as a “outstanding chief in American Bach research.” In 1991, Franklin co-founded Pitt’s well-liked “Bach and Baroque” collection, which ran for 16 years. He additionally led the Heinz Chapel Choir for 5 years, drastically increasing their repertoire and taking them on their first worldwide tour.
Chatham Baroque has an extended historical past with Franklin, together with participation in his “Bach and Baroque” collection and collaboration on a preferred Bach Birthday Bash program held every March.
“Bach is such an vital composer within the Baroque world, and we have now a wealthy historical past of performing his works in Pittsburgh, because of Franklin’s legacy. For Bach’s birthday, we needed to carry collectively a bunch of artists who knew him and carry out a few of Bach’s most beloved works,” stated creative director Andrew Fouts.
“We began with Cantata 170, Vergngte Ruh, beliebte Seelenlustas, our cornerstone of this system, with Kristen Dubenion Smith (mezzo-soprano) and Justin Wallace (harpsichord, chamber organ). Then I considered two of Bach’s instrumental concertos that might spotlight the skills of oboist Kathryn Montoya and violinist Emily Eng.”
The Pleasure of Bach program will characteristic instrumental and vocal works by the Baroque composer, together with the gorgeous cantata Vergngte Ruh, beliebte Seelenlust for alto, oboe, strings and continuo (BWV170); the concerto for 2 violins (BWV 1043); and the Concerto for Oboe and Violin (BWV1060r).
Chatham Baroque Inventive Administrators Andrew Fouts (violin), Patricia Halverson (viola da gamba) and Scott Pauley (theorbo) shall be joined by an exceptionally gifted group of visitor musicians, together with:
- Acknowledged for her “velvety legato and embracing heat of sound” (Washington Classical Overview) and “lyrical mezzo of unusual magnificence” (The Washington Put up), mezzo-soprano Kristen Dubenion-Smith enjoys an energetic performing profession in oratorios and sacred vocal chamber music, with specialization in music from the Center Ages, the Renaissance and the Baroque interval. Along with her work as a live performance soloist, she was the primary girl to be supplied a place within the Choir of Males and Boys/Women on the Washington Nationwide Cathedral and performs repeatedly with the Cathedra, Chantry, Washington Bach Consort and Grammy-nominated Clarion Choir. She is co-founder of Eya: Ensemble for Medieval Music.
- Baroque oboist Kathryn Montoya performs with a wide range of orchestral and chamber music ensembles, together with the Boston Early Music Competition Orchestra, Tafelmusik, Wiener Akademie, Pacific Musicworks, and Apollo’s Hearth. Current initiatives embody the Globe’s Tony Award-winning productions of Twelfth Evening on Broadway, live shows and grasp lessons in Shanghai, and the touring and Grammy Award-winning recording Charpentier: La couronne de fleurs – La descente d’Orphe aux enfers with the Boston Early Music Competition. Montoya has been featured on NPR’s “Efficiency Right this moment” and may be heard on the Erato, Naxos, CPO, NCA, Analekta and Dorian Sono Luminus labels.
- Alice Culin-Ellison is a flexible historic performer with skilled expertise in music from the medieval, renaissance, baroque, classical, romantic and fashionable eras. Primarily a violinist, she additionally performs viola, medieval vielle and rebec and Renaissance violin and viola and has studied baroque dance. She is the co-founder of Incantare: an Ensemble of Violins and Sackbuts and was beforehand creative director of Bourbon Baroque. Her skilled engagements additionally embody the Indianapolis Baroque Orchestra, Apollo’s 4, Chatham Baroque, the Atlanta Baroque Orchestra, and the Charlotte Bach Akademie. As a soloist, she has led opera productions of Handel’s Acis and Galatea and Purcell’s King Arthur.
- As each a violinist and a baroque violinist, Emily Eng enjoys a various musical life in chamber ensembles and orchestras with both intestine or metal at hand. Her work has included engagements with the Toronto Symphony Orchestra, Tafelmusik Baroque Orchestra, Orchestra of the Age of Enlightenment, Hamilton Philharmonic Orchestra, Nationwide Ballet Orchestra, Academy Live performance Collection, Soundstreams, Canadian Opera Firm and the Detroit Symphony Orchestra. Eng spent three consecutive residencies in a cabin on the Banff Centre, and from 2003 to 2004 she was co-artistic director of the Parkdale Folks’s Live shows, a chamber music collection on the Gladstone Resort.
- Swiss violinist Chiara Fasani Stauffer performs music starting from the Baroque to the twenty-first century and has carried out throughout three continents, together with with Apollo’s Hearth, Washington Bach Consort and Sebastians. She has appeared on “A Prairie Dwelling Companion” as a part of the East 4th Road Quartet, recorded a critically acclaimed jazz album with saxophonist Bobby Selvaggio’s Transcendental Orchestra, and carried out reside on radio station WCLV as a part of the brand new music group FiveOne Experimental Orchestra. She is the co-founder and creative director of Time Canvas, a chamber music group dedicated to bringing revolutionary music to individuals throughout a broad cross-section of society.
- A music theorist and performer specializing within the seventeenth and 18th centuries, Paul Miller teaches at Duquesne College and his analysis has been printed in quite a lot of tutorial journals. As a performer, he has appeared on the Metropolitan Museum of Artwork in New York Metropolis, the Library of Congress, the Nationwide Cathedral in Washington DC, the Darmstadt Worldwide Competition for New Music, the Bethlehem Bach Competition and the Hawai’i Performing Arts Competition, in addition to with ensembles akin to El Mundo and Tempesta di Mare and with collaborators together with Grammy nominees Richard Savino and Jory Vinikour.
- Tracy Mortimore enjoys a various profession and performs extensively on fashionable and historic double basses and violins. As an early music specialist, Mortimore has labored with Santa Fe Professional Musica, Washington Bach Consort, Musica Professional Rara, Insurgent, Tafelmusik, Opera Atelier, Toronto Consort, Wolftrap Opera, NYSEMA, Pegasus, Chatham Baroque, Folger Consort, Apollo’s Hearth, Clarion and Aradia Ensemble – with whom he has revamped 45 recordings on the Naxos document. He’s additionally energetic on this planet of free improvised music and fashionable classical music, each as a performer and as a composer.
- Justin Wallace leads a multifaceted profession as a harpsichordist, organist and composer. Primarily based in Pittsburgh, he performs with Chatham Baroque, The Dukes Music, Quantum Theatre, Music Mundana, Pittsburgh Camerata, and at Shadyside Presbyterian Church, the place he has been assistant organist since 2013. His taking part in on historic keyboards has introduced him to Charleston, SC; Birmingham, AL; Quito, Ecuador; Leipzig, Germany; and Royaumont Abbey, the place he studied with the famend French harpsichordist Blandine Verlet. Justin’s compositions have been carried out nationally and broadcast on American Public Media’s Pipedreams. He holds levels from the Baldwin-Wallace Conservatory and the Eastman College of Music..
Saturday 22 April at 7:30 p.m., Calvary Episcopal Church, Shadyside
Sunday, April 23 at 2:30 p.m., Calvary Episcopal Church, Shadyside
Tickets are $40 for adults, $35 for seniors (65+) and $20 for college kids. Subscribers and advance ticket purchasers will obtain a hyperlink to an on-demand video of this system following the reside efficiency. Go to chathambaroque.org for tickets and information.